Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Final Spanish reflections

Last full day in Granada. I´ve got my last final (ha ha, that´s redundant, isn´t it?) in fifteen minutes. Then all I´ve got to do is finish packing my bags, hop a few busses and planes, enjoy a few days in the United Kingdom, and then arrive in Portland four days from today. I spent the morning exploring the city and getting lost with my friends one more time . . . maybe it´s because Granada is the biggest and oldest city I´ve ever lived in, or maybe it´s because I was here for a limited time only, but being here has reminded me that there is so much to explore, not just in Granada, not just in Europe, but everywhere. Just walking to school today I had to take notice of the birds in the street, the construction workers just behind tin fences, the rosy-cheeked girl in the plaza shurgging her shoulders at the wind in her hair. The animated 21 second count-down sign at the cross walk. Familiar graffiti and broken down walks. Mixed languages, students in overcoats. Same signs in the streets, same cobble stones, same department stores, but somehow I feel it all vibrantly, like it´s new and old all at once. Is this premature nostlagia? Or is just a how I´ve feel almost every day in this city, amplified just a little by the tug of departure?
So many times, especially at Chapman, I lived somewhere with my eyes closed and my walking paths pre-determined. There´s so much just waiting to pour in from the borders, from the unexplored edges of our maps, that the realization can come in the same split second you look up from the ground:

"hey. I´ve never been here before."

They keep telling us the world is getting smaller, but I´ve yet to see proof.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home